CS at U.Va.
The U.Va. Department of Computer Science is a nationally recognized leader in computer science research and education. Our department includes 40 + faculty members, 120 graduate students and over 1,000 undergraduates. Faculty are active in fundamental computer science and engineering research and are engaged in interdisciplinary initiatives with scientists, humanists, engineers in other disciplines and medical personnel.
Our graduate students transition from students to collaborators through participation in world-class research projects. Our undergraduates are involved in research and are enriched by an integrated and challenging curriculum.
Inference and Auction Design in Online Advertising
Frequent Subtree Mining on the Automata Processor: Challenges and Opportunities
Distinguished Speakers Fall 2016
Towards Personalized Conflict Detection from Heterogeneous Health Applications
A Retrospective on the AMPLab and the Berkeley Data Analytics Stack
PCubeS Type Architecture and IT Programming Language
Moving from the clinic to the lab to a screen near you: Challenges in disseminating interpretation training
The Internet at the Speed of Light
Scalable Algorithms for the Post Moore's Law Era
The (obscene) Challenges of Next-Generation Pulsar Surveys
UVA Engineering graduate and founder of and Reddit & Hipmunk returns to UVA to discuss his time as a Engineering student, starting one of the most successful websites in the world and to answer your questions.
Text Analytics to Support Sense-making in Social Media: A Language-Action Perspective
Data Citation and Provenance
It Takes Two: Exploring Interactions between Smart Objects and Wearables to Implicitly Identify and Authenticate Object Users
Circuits in Cells, Bits in Bugs – How (Synthetic) Biology is a Computing Platform
The New Clouds on the Block
- MORE COMPUTER SCIENCE NEWS HERE
- Prof. Jack Stankovic was ranked #38 world wide based on his Google H-index in the area of Computer Science and Electronics!
- Haiying Shen gave gave a talk at Google entitled "Optimizing Virtual Resource Management in Cloud Systems"
- Former CS PhD student Kevin Scott named CTO of Microsoft!
- Congratulations to UVA alumni Michael Paris (BS CS'15) and Vincent Ning (BA CS'15) for being accepted into the prestigious Y Combinator accelerator program
- Ankur Sarker and Haiying Shen win best paper award
- Check out this theGreat Innovative Idea: "A Vision for Micro and Macro Location Aware Services" from Abdeltawab Hendawi and Jack Stankovic
- Jack Stankovic and Abdeltawab Hendawi won the 2nd runner-up, Best Vision Paper
- Prof. Kai-Wei Chang gave an invited talk at the NIPS 2016 workshop on December 9th, 2016: "Learning to Search for Structured Output Prediction"
- UVA CS students win at Passcode Cup!
- Professor Vicente Ordóñez collaborates on Artificial Intelligence project
- Prof. Jack Stankovic is the General Conference Chair for IEEE Wireless Health 2016
- What Will Engineers Do Next?
- CAP Researcher won the Best in Session for work on RAPID programming language at TECHCON2016
- Mark Sherriff wins Computer Science and Engineering Undergraduate Teaching Award - interview
- Our CS team won $1 million in National Cybersecurity Challenge!
- Congratulations to Prof. Jim Cohoon for being selected for the Harold Morton Jr. Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Congratulations to Kevin Sullivan and co-authors for their First Prize paper in the 2016 International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE)/CCC track on Visions of 2025 and Beyond (V2025)