- Major U.Va. Engineering Initiative to Focus on Intersection of Cyber, Physical Systems
- U.Va. Engineering Announces Multi-Million Dollar Investment in Cyber-Physical Systems Research
- Congratulations to Prof. Jack Stankovic, who has been selected to receive the UVA Distinguished Scientist Award this year, in recognition of his outstanding record of achievement and impact during his career at UVA.
- Congratulations to UVA CS Emeritus Professor, Sang Son who was elected to the Korean national academy of engineering. Sang Son is now the Dean of The Graduate School at DGIST.
- Congratulations to Computer Science Undergraduate, Zeming Lin, who's research was featured in The Spectra, Spring 2015 edition. You can view the full publication here: The Spectra: The Virginia Engineering and Science Research Journal
- Forbes Names UVA Nation's Second Highest-Ranking Public University
- Congratulations to our professor emeritus, William Wulf, who is the 2014 recipient of the Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award. This award "recognizes educators who advanced new teaching methodologies; effected new curriculum development in Computer Science and Engineering; or contributed to ACM's educational mission."
- U.Va. Computer Scientists Reach Finals of $4M Cybersecurity Competition
- UVa Engineering Students Complete 15 Software Development Projects For Charlottesville Area Nonprofits
- UVA CS Undergraduate student, Nick Lytle and Prof. Mark Floryan have developed a video game to help local students learn about state history.
- "Jones Atrium" ceremony to honor CS Professor Emerita Anita Jones photos
- Congratulations to the CS award recipients!
- "Giving Web Developers Tools to Protect Their Sites and Users" - UVA Today article featuring Prof. David Evans and graduate student Yuchen Zhou
- The 5th annual High School Programming Contest was held on Sat., April 11, 2015
- Congratulations to Mary Lou Soffa for being selected for the 2015 IEEE Technical Committee on Software Engineering's (TCSE) Distinguished Women in Science and Engineering Award (WISE) Leadership Award.
- Atrium in Rice Hall Named After Anita Jones, UVA Emeritus Professor of Computer Science
- How (Cyber) Secure Are You? The Bigger Picture - Prof. Jack Davidson talks about cyber security on WMRA
- abhi shelat, and his colleague Muthuramakrishnan Venkitasubramaniam from U. Rochester, have won a Google Faculty Research Award. Google received 808 proposals and funded 122.
- UVA School of Engineering announces new Dean
- Engineering School Partners with Micron on Groundbreaking Processor, A Worldwide Center For Advanced Processing Research
- An article about graduate student, Philip Asare, who works with Prof. Jack Stankovic and Prof. John Lach: "Improving Design Through Research and Teaching"
- Revamped Princeton Review 'Best Value' Rankings lists UVA is listed as the nation's top public school for affordability, academics and career prospects
- Hoos Invent general meeting today, Friday 1/30/15 at 4:30 in Thornton A123. Come see what it's all about!
- Town Hall Meeting with CS Chair Kevin Skadron today 1/27/15
- Google Events on Grounds this week (1/26/15 - 1/30/15)
- UVA Today article about Prof. Hongning Wang's research: "Anticipating Your Next Question"
- Interactive flyer for the Commonwealth STEM Industry Internship Program
- Computer Science Department Working to Meet Increasing Demand
- Hongning Wang has just been named one of the winners of a Yahoo Academic Career Enhancement Award, for "top young faculty members in Yahoo relevant academic areas, to help them as they start on their academic careers.
- Best Paper Award: Jiaqi Gong, Philip Asare, John Lach, and Yanjun Qi, "Piecewise Linear Dynamical Model for Actions Clustering from Inertial Body Sensors with Considerations of Human Factors", 9th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets2014), Sep. 2014.
- Best Paper Award: Enamel Hoque, Robert Dickerson, and Jack Stankovic, "Vocal-Diary: A Voice Command Based Ground Truth Collection System for Activity Recognition," Wireless Health, Oct. 2014.
- UVA's Automata Center in the news: "Micron provides a software view into new coprocessor"
- From CareerCast IT & Engineering Network: "The Nation's Best STEM Jobs"
- U.S. May Be Falling Behind in Researching Tech's Next Big Thing
- UVA #1 Most Beautiful Campus
- 15 Signs You Were Born to Be an Engineer
- Average starting salaries are up for CS graduates in 2014
- Congratulations to Jack Stankovic - he has been invited to serve another three-year term on the NRC Computer Science and Telecommunications Board.
- Congratulations to Jim and Joanne Cohoon, who just got a $1.4M NSF grant. This project will work with community-college educators help improve learning, retention, and diversity outcomes in computing courses at the community-college level. This project will build on their Tapestry work for high-school teachers.
- Prof. Mark Sherriff accepts the ice bucket challenge!
- Jack Davidson and John Knight and their research groups, as part of a team with GrammaTech, have been selected as one of the seven funded competitors in the DARPA Cyber Grand Challenge
- Prof. Jack Stankovic is interviewed by Microsoft about "Smart Homes, Smart Phones, and Beyond."
- Charlottesville is the #1 most exciting place in Virginia!
- Charlottesville is also the happiest city in America!
- Congratulations to Mohammad on winning an NSF CAREER grant!
- Congratulations to Shahriar Nirjon for winning the best paper award at MOBISYS 2014!
- "What Happens When the Right App Doesn't Know What the Left App is Doing?" - Prof. Jack Stankovic
- Prof. and Chair Kevin Skadron and 3 others at UVA were Awarded Funds to Advance Research, Economic Growth in State
- The atrium of Rice Hall has been named Jones Atrium for Prof. Anita Jones, with a generous donation from Leidos.
- Congratulations to Prof. Jack Stankovic - his h-index passed 100 according to Google scholar
- Prof. Kamin Whitehouse: "If Homes Could Talk"
- Professor Plans Homes That Can Monitor Residents
- UVA Prof. Connelly Barnes and team have created "A Photo Filter, Just for Your Face"
- UVA Today's article on Prof. Mary Lou Soffa, "Award-Winning Computer Scientist Opens Door to Women"
- Brown Computer Science Blog about UVA Computer Science Prof. Jack Stankovic
- Congratulations to Mary Lou Soffa for winning the 2014 ACM SIGSOFT Influential Educator Award "For a sustained record of mentoring of women at all ranks in the field of computing, especially software engineering."
- Congratulations to all of the students that received awards at our department awards ceremony this year!
- Computer Science Alumnus Is an Author of New Book About Game-Based Social Skills Assessments for Children
- Congratulations to Jack Stankovic, who has been chosen by the University of York for an honorary degree of Doctor of the University. Each year York selects distinguished people to receive this honor.
- UVa Computer Science Spring 2014 Newsletter
- The First Annual Hack.UVA - April 11-13, 2014
- Charlottesville is fit!
- Which college and major will make you the richest? "For the best dollar-for-dollar investment, nothing beats the University of Virginia."
- UVA hosted the 4th annual High School Programming Contest on Sat. 3/29, 2014
- Congratulations to Mark Sherriff for being selected for a 2014 All-University Teaching Award. Nine are given this year. This is an extremely prestigious award and a wonderful and well-deserved recognition of Mark's accomplishments and hard work. We are very fortunate to have him as part of our department.
- Congratulations to Mark Sherriff (Dept. of Computer Science) along with Avik Ghosh and Harry Powell (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering) for being selected to participate in the National Academy of Engineering's fifth Frontiers of Engineering Education symposium.
- IMPORTANT dates for current graduate students
- Saturday, March 22 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM: UVA School of Engineering Open House
- US News ranks "Software Developer" as the #1 best job!
- Kintense, a system designed by Shahriar Nirjon and colleagues was created to warn medical staff if a patient is acting violently – but it could also be used in security cameras
- UVA Computer Science Programming Team Advances to World Finals in Russia
- Come learn about "Inspiring Women to Empower Computer Science" on Wed. 10/23 in Rice Hall (Davis Commons)
- Engineering Career Fair 9/17/13 - 9/19/13 10:00 am - 3:00 pm in Newcomb Hall. The Engineering Career Fair is sponsored by the Center for Engineering Career Development
- Capital One is recruiting 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year CS and CE students and will be in Rice Hall (2nd Floor) on Tues. 9/10/13 from 9:30am - 3:30pm. Tech Talk at 7:00 pm by Mike Eason, Capital One's Managing Vice President
- Applied Predictive Technologies (APT) visits the Computer Science Department Thurs. 9/5/13. Meet & Greet 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM Rice Hall 2nd Floor atrium and Tech Talk: "Scaling Beyond a Startup" 6:00 PM in Rice Hall Rm. 120
- Appian visits the Computer Science Department Wed. 9/4/13. Meet & Greet 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM Rice Hall 2nd Floor atrium and Tech Talk 5:30 PM in Rice Hall Rm. 120
- Philip Asare's paper "Towards a Framework for Safety Analysis of Body Sensor Networks" has been selected as the Best Student Paper of BodyNets 2013. Professor John Lach and Professor Jack Stankovic are co-authors of this paper.
- Congratulations to Jonathan Burket and Matt Weber for national recognition of their research efforts through the CRA Outstanding Undergraduate Researchers Program by earning Honorable Mention Awards.
- Professor John Stankovic and his research group are mentioned in an article on The Economist website discussing their use of microphones to capture heartbeats.
- Congratulations to Philip Asare and Jiayuan Meng for being selected to participate in the 1st Heidelberg Laureate Forum, to be held from September 22 to 27 in Heidelberg, Germany.
- Awards Ceremony was held on Wednesday, May 8 in Rice 120. Congratulations to all of the award recipients!
- Congratulations to Philip Asare (CpE) for being named a 2013 - 2014 Google Lime Connect Scholar!
- Congratulations to Vijay Srinivasan, John Stankovic, and Kamin Whitehouse for their paper "FixtureFinder: Discovering the Existence of Electrical and Water Fixtures," which has been selected as Best Paper Runner Up for IPSN 2013. To Appear in The 12th ACM/IEEE Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN'13). April 8-11, 2013, Philadelphia, PA. (PPT)
- UVa Hosts Third Annual High School Programming Contest
- Anh Nguyen-Tuong, Jason Hiser and Jack Davidson received a $40,000 grant from the Virginia Innovation Partnership to make the web a safer place. Congratulations! You can read more about the Virginia Innovation Partnership and other recipients of this grant in this UVA Today article
- Congratulations to Charles Eckman who was selected by the UVA CS department's review committee as the recipient of the first Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) Scholarship
- Prof. Alf Weaver interviews Annie Anton, chair of the School of Interactive Computing at Georgia Tech, about the importance of gender diversity in computing.
- Congratulations to Prof. Jack Stankovic for giving a keynote talk at Sensornets 2013 in Barcelona, Spain
- Computer Scientist Anita Jones Receives Philip Hauge Abelson Award from AAAS
- Tech Talk sponsored by Intentional Software: Magnus Christerson, Executive Vice President, "Intentional Software." Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 6:30 pm, Rice Hall, Room 120
- For the fourth time in five years, a team from the University of Virginia has advanced to the world finals in the International Collegiate Programming Contest (ICPC)
- Congratulations to Mary Lou Soffa, Kevin Skadron, and Sang Son for their elevations to IEEE Fellow
- Congratulations to UVA Computer Science Professor John Knight on the publication of his book, "Fundamentals of Dependable Computing for Software Engineering," by CRC Press.
- Mary Lou Soffa wins the prestigious Ken Kennedy Award
- UVA Computer Science researchers led by Shahriar Nirjon created a new exercise music app that listens to your heart to rev it up. See article in the Cavalier Daily and in New Scientist
- Special Guest Speaker: Charles Zhang on Mon., October 22nd at 11:00 AM in Olsson 120
- Top Gun Speaker Series: Hillery Hunter on Wed., October 24th at 2:00 PM in Rice 130
- Engineering Professor Soffa Re-Elected to ACM Council
- Anita Jones to Give Keynote Address at Grace Hopper Celebration
- The Computer Science Department is getting a new Chair. Kevin Skadron will be taking over as Chair starting August 25th as Mary Lou Soffa steps down after 8 years. Congratulations Kevin!
- Congratulations to Shahriar Nirjon and Prof. Jack Stankovic for receiving the Best Paper award at RTAS '12 for their paper: Shahriar Nirjon, Angela Nicoara, Cheng-Hsin Hsu, Jatinder Singh, and John Stankovic, "MultiNets: Policy Oriented Real-Time Switching of Wireless Interfaces on Mobile Devices."
- Prof. Jack Stankovic (Computer Science), John Lach (Electrical and Computer Engineering) and Prof. Karen Rose (School of Nursing) were awarded a new grant from the NIH to research to link between Alzheimer's and incontinence
- Congratulations to Hamid Bagheri and Kevin Sullivan. They received a Distinguished Paper award 2nd place), for the paper, "SpaceMaker: Practical Formal Synthesis of Tradeoff Spaces for Object-Relational Mapping," at the 23rd International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering.
- Congratulations to Shahriar Nirjon and Jack Stankovic for their article on NewsScientist.com
- Congratulations to Peter Chapman who was just awarded an NSF Graduate Fellowship, a most prestigious honor
- Congratulations to Chris Gregg who just won the 2011-2012 All-University Graduate Teaching Assistant Award in Math, Science and Engineering. This Award carries an honorarium of $1,000 and will be presented at the Annual Awards Ceremony "In Celebration of Teaching." Competition for this award was very intense this year. Chris also won the Department's Outstanding GTA Award, which carries a $250.00 prize.
- Visiting Brazilian Student Catching On to U.Va. Life
- UVA Today, Jan. 31, 2012
- Congratulations to Claire Le Goues and Wesley Weimer whose paper was selected for TSE's featured article for the January/Feb issue.
Claire Le Goues, ThanhVu Nguyen, Stephanie Forrest, Westley Weimer:
GenProg: A Generic Method for Automated Software Repair.
IEEE Trans. Software Engineering 38(1): 54-72 (January/February 2012)
- George Necula, Scott McPeak and Westley Weimer have won the POPL Most Influential paper for 2012 for their paper "CCured: type-safe retrofitting of legacy code."
- Congratulations to Jason Mars, Lingjia Tang, Kevin Skadron and Mary Lou Soffa. Their paper "Increasing Utilization in Modern Warehouse Scale Computers via Sensible Co-locations" was selected as a Micro Top Picks for 2012. There were 77 papers submitted from the best architecture conferences in 2012 and 12 were selected.
- Rice Hall Information Technology Engineering Building Dedication, Friday, November 18, 2011
- Mary Lou Soffa Receives Anita Borg Technical Leadership Award
- Jack Stankovic was invited to serve as a member of the National Academies' Computer Science and Telecommunications Board
- "Software Smoke and Mirrors" by, Jack Davidson
- IMPACT Magazine, Fall 2011, Volume 13, No. 1
- U.Va. Team Awarded $3 Million NSF Secure Computation Grant
- UVA Today, October 13, 2011
- CS Fall 2011 Newsletter
- Newsweek ranks U.Va. among best colleges - The University placed 17th on the list of Computer Geeks
- Cavalier Daily, September 5, 2011
- Grant to Bring Advanced Cyber infrastructure, Digital Services to U.Va., Other Institutions
- UVA Today, August 25, 2011
- Kevin Skadron Wins Award for Computer Architecture Research
- UVA Today, August 11, 2011
- Rice Hall Opens This Fall; Will Be State-of-the-Art Space for IT Engineering
- UVA Today, August 8, 2011
- William Wulf Honored With National Diversity Award
- UVA Today, April 5, 2011
- The Science of Internet Privacy
- Cavalier Daily, March 16, 2011
- Alliance for Computational Science and Engineering Helps Make Students and Faculty 'Research-Ready' (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, January 6, 2011 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Scientists Look to Biological Evolution to Strengthen Computer Software (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, January 4, 2011 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Scientists Join $13 Million Project to Secure Software of Unknown Origins
- UVA Today, November 23, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va.'s Applied Research Institute Developing More Robust Communications Platform for First Responders
- UVA Today, November 12, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Professor Emerita Anita Jones Wins NAE's 2010 Arthur M. Bueche Award
- UVA Today, October 12, 2010 (Original Article)
- Jack Stankovic awarded 2010 Distinguished Faculty Award
- UVA SEAS website, October 1, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Researchers Land $2 Million NSF Grant to Design 'Smart Building' Energy Systems
- UVA Today, September 23, 2010 (Original Article)
- Kim Hazelwood one of top young innovators
- UVA Today, August 30, 2010 (Original Article)
- Computer Science Legend Anita Jones Retires from the Engineering School
- UVA Today, August 30, 2010 (Original Article)
- Jason Mars receives Google Fellowship
UVA Today, June 28, 2010 (Original Article)
- Seven Young Faculty Innovators Selected for U.Va.'s FEST Awards
- UVA Today, June 15, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Science Professor Receives $1 Million Google Research Award to Study Energy Efficiency in Data Centers
UVA Today, February 10, 2010 (Original Article)
- Sudhanva Gurumurthi receives $1M Google Research Award
- UVA Today, February 10, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Science Department Celebrates 25th Anniversary with 'Father of the Internet'
UVA Today, February 1, 2010 (Original Article)
- Internet's dad: Responsibility a big part of computer science
Daily Progress, January 30, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Science Students Return to World Finals for Programming in China
SEAS, January 27, 2010 (Original Article)
- UVA Researchers Attack the Web
NBC29, January 21, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Science Professor Kamin Whitehouse Advances Research with an NSF Career Award
UVA Today, January 5, 2010 (Original Article)
- 2010 Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher Award Winners: David S. Noble, Jr., Ethan Fast, Rachel Lathbury
Computing Research Association, January 1, 2010